The expanded cafeteria at Houston Schools will open in 2-3 weeks and other construction on campus remains on schedule, board members heard at Tuesday night’s monthly meeting.
Superintendent Scott Dill shared several updates related to construction and maintenance projects in the district. The biggest improvement – connecting the current high school and middle school buildings – is moving forward without issues. Dill said workers have assured him the new building will be open for the beginning of the 2015-’16 school year.
A pressure monitoring system has been installed for the boiler. The new technology creates and alarm and sends a text message to the maintenance staff when it drops below a predetermined threshold. Previously, the boiler required human monitoring throughout the winter.
The building trades students have completed new bleachers and a press box at the softball field. An old storage barn next to the Big Red Building was demolished and rebuilt by students.
A large American flag was recently hung inside Hiett Gymnasim. Dill said he is still seeking a solution for the championship signs for each HHS program that were taken down.
Also at Tuesday’s meeting, school board members:
- Accepted Skye Wade’s resignation as HHS volleyball coach and health and physical education teacher effective the end of the current school year.
- Hired Emily Smith as a paraprofessional for the remainder of the 2014-’15 school year.
- Approved Lindsay Starr, Dustin Bell, Larry Fackler and Susanne McChesney as substitutes for the remainder of the current school year.
- Evaluated the HHS fall sports programs. Members discussed the possibility of making personnel decisions sooner in the school year. “There could be, if the board chooses, some personnel decisions made as early as the December board meeting,” Dill said.
- Approved the financial statements from the auditor’s report for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014. The report will be printed in next week’s edition of the Houston Herald.
- Gave approval to Dill to engage with outside agents to assist with selling the building trades house. The house is currently listed at $220,000.
- Amended the Exceptional Child Cooperative employee handbook.
- Tabled a program evaluation from Early Childhood/PAT until December meeting.
The next monthly school board meeting was moved to the new cafeteria. It will begin at 6 p.m. on Dec. 9.