Three Houston softball team were named last week to the Class 2 District 1 team. Senior Kaitlyn Root and sophomore Kameron Hall were selected to the first team. Senior Madison Lawson was honorable mention.
Root, a shortstop, batted a team-best .429 with 10 RBIs, 13 runs scored and seven stolen bases. She had a .500 on-base percentage. Root missed five games with a concussion.
Hall, an outfielder, batted .375 with 15 runs scored, 13 RBIs and 10 steals. She had five extra-base hits –– two doubles, two triples and one home run –– and a .943 fielding percentage.
Lawson, who played both center field and first base, hit .373 while leading Houston in doubles (five), home runs (two), RBIs (16), runs (16) and steals (12).
Selected to the team were:
• Pitchers: Gracie Heinlein, Ava; Megan Langley, Mansfield.
• Catcher: Madalyn Vaughn, Hartville.
• Infielders: Ashton Bewley, Ava; Karsyn Brooke, Mansfield; Kiaunna Snow, Ava; Sydney Howe, Hartville; Ashley Nelson, Mansfield; Libby Buchanan, Seymour; Root, Houston; Blakely Morrison, Gainesville.
• Outfielders: Aspyn Britt, Gainesville; Grace Culver, Hartville; Hall, Houston.
• Utility: Macey Phillips, Ava.
• Aubrey Hardcastle, Hartville; Lawson, Houston; Ashlynne Dickinson, Hartville; Cayce Guillory, Hartville; Natalie Kiger, Gainesville; Emily McKinzie, Gainesville; Elanna Sabado, Mansfield; Lexie Morris, Mansfield; Faith Pearce, Seymour.