Thanks to their dog, a Texas County couple is safe and sound after a fire destroyed their house early Thursday morning on Vollmar Drive north of Raymondville.

But after alerting its owners to the danger, the dog perished in the blaze.

Raymondville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Jackson said that after the call came in at 3:30 a.m., a total of six trucks and 12 firefighters from his department and the Houston Rural and Licking departments responded. The house was owned by Billy and Beverly Driesel, who were asleep inside when their female boxer took action.

Following the catastrophe, the Driesels joined family members at a house just down the road.

“Beverly woke me up and said, ‘The house is full of smoke!'” Billy said. “That was such a good dog. If it weren’t for her, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.”

Jackson said the cause of the fire wasn’t known. But Billy Driesel said he believes it started on a screened-in back porch and was almost certainly electrical in nature.

“That’s where the flames were coming from when we got up,” he said.

The incident marked the third time in recent weeks that a dog has alerted owners to a house fire.

“It’s amazing how often that happens,” Jackson said. “They know what’s going on.”

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply