Texas County Memorial Hospital gave out top employee awards and honored 42 with service awards at the 35th annual celebration of its employees.
Courtney Owens, of Cabool, was named the 2017 manager of the year and Robert Derrick, of Raymondville, received the employee of the year award.
Owens, a hospital employee since 2007, is a registered nurse and director of TCMH Home Health of the Ozarks and Hospice of Care.
“It’s obvious that Courtney knows how to manage time,” said Wes Murray, TCMH chief executive officer. “She has taken on two departments, and she’s getting all of the tasks completed for both departments.”
Murray and Doretta Todd-Willis, TCMH chief nursing officer, said Owens has the respect of the employees that report to her, fellow nurse managers and the medical staff.
Derrick is a floor maintenance tech in the housekeeping department, where he has worked since 2014. Derrick works from the late afternoon until midnight daily at the hospital after he gets off work at a saw mill, where he also works daily.
Employee of the year is limited to the individuals who have received the honor of employee of the month since the 2016 employee awards ceremony. All employees are allowed to vote.
“Robert is not a flashy guy, but when he’s working, he’s always active doing things for people. If you do your job and do it well and treat everyone with dignity, your peers will notice and recognize you like they have done for Robert with this award,” said Murray.
The manager of the year and the employee of the year were honored with an engraved plaque, $500 cash, a pin and day of paid time off.
The TCMH Customer Quality Team honored Jonathon Gibby and Brandon Swindle, both aides in the dietary department, for their excellent customer service in 2017. Each received a plaque and cash award.
The TCMH cardiopulmonary department was named the customer service department of the year. The group encompasses inpatient care in all of the nursing departments and outpatient care that includes the TCMH Sleep Studies Laboratory and Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Clinic. The department will receive a special meal in their honor.
Murray and TCMH board members Omanez Fockler and Janet Wiseman recognized the following employees with service awards:
• Becky Scott, 40 years.
• Todd-Willis, 30 years.
• Karen Geer, Rachel Phillips and MeriBeth Tieden, 25 years.
• Terry Bruno, FNP, and Sandy Eaton, 20 years.
• Debbie Breckenridge, Elizabeth Curtis, Joleen Durham, Susan Flores, Joyce Hull, Wes Murray, Mary Roderick, Jeff Scott and William Wright, MD, 15 years.
• Whitney Christeson, Melanie Evans, Tina Flores, Kirby Holmes, Owens, John Sawyer; DJ Spantgos, Jim Spantgos, Marie Stark, Tracey Stewart and Andrea Turner, 10 years.
• Jonathan Beers, DO, Cheryl Brannum, Alison Clayton, April Crites, Tamma Floyd, Traci Goetz, Anne Kennedy, Shayleen McNutt, PJ Murray, Jordan Pounds, Evania Ryan, Courtney Sears, Elizabeth Shoults, Mike Taylor and Breonna Woodmansee, five years.
TCMH administration and employees also recognized Fockler, who in November was named “trustee of the year” from the Missouri Hospital Association at its annual convention at Lake Ozark.
TCMH also gave out prizes to hospital employees who had volunteered at hospital events throughout the year.