The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider a nomination of the original Houston High School to the National Register of Historic Places during its quarterly meeting today in Jefferson City.
The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 9 a.m. in the La Charrette conference room of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Lewis and Clark State Office Building, 1101 Riverside Drive, Jefferson City.
Fifteen nominations and one historic context document are scheduled to be considered for listing in the National Register. Properties on the agenda include historic residences, commercial buildings and historic districts. Approximately 500 historic resources are represented in the nominations.
The following properties from southern Missouri are being considered:
When bids from contractors to build a new high school in Houston far exceeded the available funds, the community rallied to design and build the school themselves. With few exceptions, material for the school (brick, pine and oak) was made or harvested locally. Houston citizens and students of the vocational industrial arts classes provided the labor to construct the building. Completed in 1921, Houston High School, 423 W. Pine St., soon became the center of community activities in the town hosting sporting events, plays, dances and charitable events.
Built as the high school, the building was later used for elementary and middle school classes and as a fine arts building.
John Impey of Houston, who earlier opposed a plan to destroy the building to make way for other campus construction, submitted the application.
The St. Paul Block, 401 South Ave., Springfield, was constructed on a busy corner lot in 1905 at a time when the city’s business district was expanded from the public square into surrounding blocks. Constructed as a speculative venture by a group of local businessmen, the building is historically known as the home of the Hermann-Brownlow Co. The company was the last harness maker to operate in Springfield and was a well-known supplier of automobile parts. The company purchased the St. Paul Block in 1920 and continued to operate from the building until around 1957.
Other nominations being considered include the following:
Moreau Park Historic District, Jefferson City Sedalia Commercial Historic District (Boundary Increase), Sedalia Fayette Residential Historic District, Fayette Farmington State Hospital #4 Cemetery, Farmington Old Appleton Bridge, Old Appleton, Cape Girardeau and Perry counties Main-Spanish Commercial Historic District, Cape Girardeau Salisbury Square Historic District, Salisbury Lawler Motor Co. Building, St. Joseph Dr. E. Sanborn Smith House, Kirksville Dierks Building, Kansas City Medart’s, St. Louis (Independent City) Railway Exchange Building, St. Louis Central Carondelet Historic District (Boundary Increase II), St. Louis In addition to nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the council will receive status reports on programs provided by the Department of Natural Resources’ State Historic Preservation Office and discuss business related to its own function and duties.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a 12-member group of historians, architects, archaeologists and citizens with an interest in historic preservation. The council is appointed by the governor and works with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ State Historic Preservation Office, which administers the National Register program for Missouri. The council meets quarterly to review Missouri property nominations to the National Register, the nation’s honor roll of historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C., for final approval.