Bernice Helen Mueller was born Oct. 18, 1911, to Charles E. and Lillian (Nordman) Gibson in University, Mo. She passed away on Feb. 17, 2014, in Springfield, Mo.

Bernice’s father passed away three years later with tuberculosis leaving her mother as a single woman to make her way in the world while trying to raise a daughter. Being a member of the Eastern Star, Bernice’s mother was able to place her in a Masonic Orphanage for several years. Her mother married again approximately three years later taking Bernice home to live. Twelve years later a baby sister was born and then baby brother 15 years later. Her mother had an extreme arthritic condition so Bernice helped raise her brother and sister.

Later on in life Bernice met Oscar Friedrich Mueller and they were married on April 28, 1933. They lived with his parents above their hardware and electrical Business in St. Louis, Mo. They eventually purchased a beautiful little home of their own in St. Louis. Bernice worked in a piston factory for a while. Oscar was an electrical engineer and soon began his own electrical business with Bernice now a fulltime bookkeeper for the next nineteen years.

In November 1950, Oscar had a terrible accident. It was the beginning of a very long and difficult time for them. After an extended time in the hospital, Oscar came home in a full body cast with Bernice being a very devoted wife and full time nurse. They soon decided they would not be able to continue running their business, so they sold their home and on March 28, 1952, purchased 440 acres of land in Texas County, Mo. After several years of dairy farming, they decided to down size, sold most of the land, purchased a new pickup with camper and began traveling the United States, which included driving to Alaska. They loved fishing and warm weather so spent winters in Florida or Texas making many friends over the years.

They took many, many pictures and would present a slide showing after travels. If you have ever been to view these beautiful pictures, then will know also what a very beautiful and loving lady would be greeting you at the door with a big bear hug and a lovely and fragrant aroma of freshly baked molasses cookies coming from the kitchen.

In 2003, Bernice fell and ended in the hospital and then nursing home to heal in Houston, Mo. Oscar was 99 and joined her there so they could be to together once again. Due to a decline of health, Oscar passed away two weeks later.

A friend, Doris, from Springfield, Mo.m wanted her to move to Springfield and she did. She spent nine years living at Cambridge Independent Living. While there she made many wonderful friends and was involved in the many activities even receiving the title of Bingo Queen.

Bernice had wonderful caretakers, Tinnia, “Her Angel,” Dr. Salinas and Assistant, Amanda. Their care of her went beyond just a patient and caregiver relationship. They were compassionate and loving friends. She was so blessed to have them in her life.

While Bernice and Oscar were living in Raymondville, Mo., they became long time friends with Mary Johnson and their three girls. When Bernice moved to Springfield, one of the Johnson girls, Cece, and her husband, Don, were there and their relationship took on a new life. Cece and Bernice went on many outings just to mention a few, holiday dinners with their children and families, church, Ryan’s and a much requested movie event “The War Horse” at the age of 101 years old. She enjoyed shopping, ice cream sundaes, talking sometimes till after 11 PM and riding in Don’s bright red convertible sports car with the top down, looking like a beautiful movie star, with her sunglasses and scarf. Bernice claimed Cece as her granddaughter.

She was a devoted Christian. She was saved and baptized very early in life. She was a member of the First and Calvary Presbyterian Church in Springfield, Mo.

Bernice has left behind many, many dear friends; a brother, Edward Borman, also known as Buddy to Bernice and his wife, Janet, of Alabama; nieces, Anne Borman-Nadler and family of St. Louis, Mo., Beth Nenah and family of Florida and Melinda Borman and children of St. Louis, Mo.; and a nephew, Keith Borman of California.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Oscar Mueller; her parents; one sister, Eunice Borman; and one nephew Michael Borman, husband of Melinda Borman.

A wonderful message from Melinda Borman says it all, “What a sweet, special person she was and such a blessing to all who knew her. She certainly lived a long, full life. But we know that Bee has gone on to a better place and I’m sure there was quite a greeting committee waiting there for one of her special Aunt Bee bear hugs!” of which we all knew so well!

Services were 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014, at Evans Funeral Home with Wesley Wallace officiating. Pallbearers were Donald Dillman, Dennis Newkirk, Carl Barnes, Jr. AJ Cabanes and Byron Kruse. Honorary pallbearer was Michael Miller. Burial was in Boone Creek Cemetery under the direction of Evans Funeral Home.

The family respectfully requests that donations be made to the Raymondville Community Crossroads Church, in her honor, in lieu of flowers. Online condolences may be sent to


Leave a comment

Leave a Reply