Sgt. Dale Pounds and officer Dustin Hartman of the Houston Police Department talk Monday night at a command post at Mineral Drive and Forrest Drive. 

Officers mobilized north and east of Houston after an accused killer escaped the Texas County Jail at about 6 p.m. Monday.

The news sent a wave of officers into the Houston area looking for Daniel G. Campbell, 39, who was being held for the Oct. 25 murder of one and the shooting of another man southwest of Licking on Boilings Springs Road. A third person had a gun held to their head, but was spared. Campbell was held without bond on a first-degree murder, assault and armed criminal action charges.

Murder suspect escapes

Murder suspect Daniel Campbell, shown during his court appearance at the Texas County Justice Center, escaped Monday night from the Texas County Jail.

Texas County Sheriff James Sigman said Campbell left from a rear open door of the jail, where some work was underway, and was last seen there just before 6 p.m. Monday. Campbell was wearing a jail-issued uniform – orange and white stripes – and had no shoes. He fled into nearby woods.

At 7:30 p.m., authorities said there was a reported sighting of Campbell east of Houston near Brushy Creek Road and Foster Road, but no one was found. Later, a resident reported someone near his Splitlimb Road house east of Raymondville. Nothing was discovered after patrol cars and a helicopter surveyed the area.

At about 8:30 p.m., a 1997 black Dodge extended cab pickup with a red camper shell was stolen from near the Big Piney Sportsmen’s Club on Highway B east of Houston. It is not known if it is tied to the Campbell case. The owner told officers there was a deer rifle inside.

Residents should report any information to 911 or the Texas County Sheriff’s Department at 417-967-4165.

Sigman said residents in the area should take action to remove keys from vehicles and secure their homes. A perimeter was established quickly around the Texas County Justice Center area, he said. Officers from the Houston Police Department, Texas County Sheriff’s Department and Missouri State Highway Patrol were present.

Additional manpower came to the county from Troop G of the Missouri State Highway Patrol. A Missouri State Highway Patrol helicopter arrived at about 7:30 p.m

Another man was seriously injured. Campbell led officers on a 70-hour manhunt before his arrest at a Licking church after a resident thought it was strange that normally open blinds were closed.


Officer Dustin Hartman of the Houston Police Department checks a vehicle at a checkpoint north of the Texas County Justice Center.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply