Mikayla Kuehl, a 17-year-old junior at Houston High School, said Daniel Campbell asked her for a ride after he escaped Nov. 14 from the Texas County Jail.

Mikayla Kuehl hadn’t been home long Tuesday night from her afterschool job at Forbes’ Pharmacy. She said she and her younger brother were leaving their home on Brushy Creek Road and heading to town.

“We got in my truck and my dog started barking, growling and freaking out,” Kuehl said. “I didn’t know what it was. My little brother looked through his window and someone was grabbing the handle. He almost ended up in my lap — it scared him that bad.”

That someone was murder suspect and jail escapee Daniel Campbell. Only Kuehl didn’t recognize him.

Kuehl, a 17-year-old junior at Houston High School, said it was around 7 p.m. when Campbell appeared out of the dark and approached her vehicle. Her home is roughly four miles from the Texas County Justice Center, where authorities said Campbell ran out a propped open door at 5:40 p.m.

“I had no idea who the guy was,” she said. “I rolled down my window and said, ‘What do you want?’ He said, ‘I have a flat tire down the road.’ He said he was coming from Summersville and that he needed a ride to Licking.”

Kuehl said she told Campbell she couldn’t give him a ride and that he needed to speak to her dad. She then left.

Kuehl said she returned home a short time later. Her father had denied giving Campbell a ride and sent him away. He also did not recognize him but was suspicious. She said Campbell was not wearing a shirt or shoes and that his pants appeared to be similar to ones from a jail.

“My dad called it in, explained everything and they told him, ‘Yeah, he broke out of jail,'” Kuehl said.

That’s when Kuehl said she realized she had experienced a face-to-face encounter with a murder suspect on the run from authorities.

“I was like, ‘Holy crap, this guy was right next to me,'” she said. “It was scary.”

Kuehl said authorities quickly responded to her residence and after a brief search, returned with K-9 dogs. They did not find him.

Campbell apparently traveled north from Kuehl’s home and stole a truck around 8:30 p.m. near the Big Piney Sportsman’s Club. He remained on the run until 10:10 a.m. Tuesday when he stopped for water and a sandwich at residence between Roby and Success.

Kuehl said looking back on her encounter with Campbell, she now understands the magnitude of the moment. Campbell, 39, is charged with shooting two men Oct. 25 southwest of Licking. One of the men, Billy Dale Bishop II, died from his injuries and the other, William T. Dumboski, had critical injuries.

Campbell’s escape from jail was the second time he led authorities on a manhunt. The first — after the shootings — lasted 70 hours. This one was 16 hours.

“It was pretty intense,” Kuehl said.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply