Smoke and flame rise among sections of metal roofing in the smoldering remains of a two-story house that was destroyed by fire early Thursday morning north of Raymondville.

Thanks to their dog, a Texas County couple is safe and sound after a fire that destroyed their house early Thursday morning on Vollmar Drive north of Raymondville.

{{tncms-inline alignment=”right” content=”<p>“That was such a good dog. If it weren’t for her, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.”</p>” id=”734f046b-2ef9-4dc2-b0f6-8731fb604b7d” style-type=”quote” title=”Quote” type=”relcontent” width=”half”}}

But after alerting its owners to the danger, the dog perished in the blaze.

Raymondville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Jackson said after the call came in at 3:30 a.m., six trucks and 12 firefighters from his department as well as the Houston Rural and Licking departments responded. The house was owned by Billy and Beverly Driesel, who were asleep inside when their female boxer took action.

Following the catastrophe, the Driesels joined family members at a house just down the road.

“Beverly woke me up and said, ‘The house is full of smoke!’” Billy said. “That was such a good dog. If it weren’t for her, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.”

Jackson said the cause of the fire wasn’t known, but Billy Driesel said it started on a screened-in back porch. He was almost certain it was electrical in nature.

“That’s where the flames were coming from when we got up,” he said.

The incident marked the third time in recent weeks that a dog has alerted owners to a house fire.

“It’s amazing how often that happens,” Jackson said. “They know what’s going on.”

“That was such a good dog. If it weren’t for her, we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.”

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply