SAMUEL WAYNE THOMAS

A preliminary hearing for a Bucyrus man accused of a making a hoax telephone call to 911 and planting a crude bomb in a vehicle last month was postponed Oct. 11.

Police said Samuel Wayne Thomas, 35, of 15416 Highway AA, called the county’s emergency communications center and told a dispatcher that his daughter had unexpectedly come home from school and told him of a plot that involved a bomb that would be placed in a school locker.

An investigation by the Houston Police Department and Texas County Sheriff’s Department concluded that caller “Troy Cross” was actually Thomas, according to a report. There was no daughter and a person implicated in the plot had no involvement.

What appeared to be a bomb was found in the pickup bed of a falsely accused person at city parking lot near the Houston Municipal Swimming Pool. Officials described it as two metal pipes with electric tape, a watch face and battery compartment with wiring. It contained black powder with pellets.

Thomas was originally held without bond on charges of making a terrorist threat, unlawful possession of an explosive weapon and armed criminal action, all felonies, and misusing 911, a misdemeanor.  That has now been set at $250,000. At the time of the crime, Thomas was free on bond in a statutory rape case.

 

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply