A Texas County church will celebrate its 75th anniversary next month.
The community, former members and pastors, directors of missions and friends are encouraged to attend the celebration Oct. 13 at Elk Creek Baptist Church. The day begins at 10 a.m. with Sunday school, followed by worship at 11 a.m. and a re-dedication service at 1:30 p.m.
Elk Creek Baptist Church was established Feb. 11, 1938, when a group of people felt the calling of God to reach out to the community and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ. Once the vision was clear and goals set, they met in the Stoltz one-room schoolhouse and then later in the home of Edwin and Ruby Swisher until land could be secured.
Judd Smith donated land in April of 1938, and plans for a building soon began with an estimated cost of $800. Delayed by World War II, the congregation worshiped under a brush arbor on the donated land. Building construction finally began in 1947 and was dedicated to the Lord Jesus Christ on Sept. 5, 1948. Since then, during the course of 75 years, more than 200 people who have accepted The Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and 236 baptized into the fellowship.